2016 is a special year for ZendCon. It’s the first where we’ll dedicate a focused track to the myriad of open source technologies, use, and support. And in similar vein, it marks 10 years of PHP on IBM i.
In my earlier blog post, “Open source on IBM i: Has hell frozen over?” I talked about the history of the past decade where we (collectively) took a far-fetched idea and created techniques, technologies, and careers. Not just for websites anymore, PHP is the foundation for infrastructures and web services. And no other open source language has the same kind of community support.
Wait, before I go any further, did you know there WILL be an exclusive preview of Zend Server 9 and PHP 7 for IBM i, at ZendCon, along with an opportunity to beta test it yourself?
We’ll be in the exhibit hall at the Zend booth with the preview, so be sure to come by.
But if that’s not enough … To commemorate this monument of PHP progress and celebrate what’s yet to come, we have these exciting activities in store for you in Las Vegas.
(If you haven’t already registered, there’s no time to waste—space is filling up fast. You can register here, but don’t jump there yet, keep reading: There’s a coupon code below you just might want to use.)
Read on for an in-depth look at the collection of goodies designed especially for IBM i professionals.
First and foremost: It’s Vegas, let’s party!
IBM reception, sponsored by BCD Software
Wednesday, October 19 at The Joint at the Hard Rock Hotel.
Help us celebrate 10 years of open source and PHP on IBM i with special drinks and treats to commemorate this anniversary, as well as what’s yet to come.
Not just one, but two of them. Multi-hour sessions of hands-on training from the industry experts.
Intro to PHP on IBM i
Get $200 off when you register for this session with promo code: ZC16IBMiDC
Mike Pavlak, with special guest Alan Seiden
Tuesday, October 18
Attend this workshop for:
- Extensive understanding of how PHP works on IBM i
- PHP syntax and procedural development with hands-on lab exercises
- DB2 data access
- Introduction to the PHP Toolkit for leveraging RPG business logic
DB2 and SQL in depth for PHP on IBM i
Tuesday, October 18
Learn the “right” way to use DB2 with PHP plus:
- RCAC row and column security built into DB2
- Techniques to reduce the amount of required boilerplate PHP database code
- New features of DB2 and ibm_db2 that can make life easier for developers
- Details performance tips
- Prevention of SQL injection
- Connecting to IBM i’s DB2 from Windows and Linux
IBM i development session track
A full set of sessions focused on the basics for modernizing the i with PHP, database apps, middleware, strategy, and much more. All brought to you by the celebrities in the space. See the full lineup and descriptions here.
- 30 PHP tips on IBM i in 60 minutes (That’s one every two minutes.)
- A real Zend Expressive application on the IBM i
- Bringing modern PHP development to IBM I
- Debugging your web application on IBM i from A to Z (Apache to Zend)
- Install MariaDB on IBM i – Tips, troubleshooting, and more
- Middleware pattern is good for IBM i
- PHP installed on IBM i – The nickel tour
- Strategic modernization with PHP
- Who’s doing what with PHP on IBM i
- Zend Framework 2 and 3 for the IBM i
IBM Power Pavilion in the exhibit hall
Meet the partners and see the technology that represents the end-to-end solutions to help you build better apps faster: BCD Software, a division of Fresche; Midrange Dynamics; NCS Consulting; Remain Software; and The Seiden Group.
Let’s accelerate great PHP – on IBM i – together
ZendCon has always been a place to connect with the broader community deploying PHP. As an event for all industry types (software, manufacturing, logistics, insurance, healthcare) ZendCon has grown up to be the exclusive event for PHP and open source around the world. With so much attention to how you can elevate your development efforts to the next level within the context of IBM i, you really have no excuse not to join us this year!